Head of Finance DACH
A bit about Antler
Antler (www.antler.co) is a global venture capital firm enabling and investing in the world's most exceptional people building the defining companies of tomorrow. Through its regional HQs across 20+ major startup ecosystems (including New York, London, Stockholm, Berlin, Bangalore, Singapore, Seoul and Sydney), Antler is changing the way VC investments are made and how founders are supported at scale globally. To date, Antler has helped build and invested in more than 450 companies across technologies and industries such as fintech, AI, robotics, drones, proptech, web3 and healthtech. Every year, Antler receives more than 60,000 applications from experienced entrepreneurs and teams that want to build their next company with Antler.
Antler leads their investments out of strong regional hubs. Berlin serves as our headquarters for the investment operations across DACH, Italy and Eastern Europe. Out of an independent local VC fund Antler makes 40+ investments in the region every year. To support founders holistically, Antler has recently added a Swiss subsidiary to further strengthen its position in the region and tap additional local ecosystems.
What we look for in you
Putting founders first
You understand and thrive knowing the value that you are delivering to our founders by optimising work-flows to ensure they receive the payments they need, when they need them, effectively.
Being a critical thinker
You will get your kicks by continuously seeking and delivering process optimisations and cost savings for both local Antler operations and our portfolio company founders at every opportunity.
Owning the numbers
You know the devil is in the detail and you are at home with complex data sets, deriving insights and checking the numbers always add up. You will have relentless attention to detail.
You believe in being open and honest. You are a clean and concise communicator able to deliver complex messages with clarity.
Playing in the team
We have a one team approach. We win together and take risks, acknowledging this means backing and recognising each other’s efforts and offering support when needed.
About your future role
Starting in 2020 we have continuously built out our investment operations in the region Central Europe, starting with the headquarters in Berlin. We have just recently added a new Swiss subsidiary and are planning to further scale investment operations across the region. To further strengthen our finance operations, we are looking to secure a full-time Finance Manager.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Being a Member of the Central Europe core team, and working closely with both the Fund Partners and the global finance team
- Contribution to guiding the strategic and financial planning process
- Supervision of all financial and other back-office operations for Antler Central Europe working with our external and internal accountants on:
- Day-to-day financial tasks including; Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Tax, Payroll, Financial (HGB/IFRS) and Management Accounting
- Monthly group reporting to facilitate preparation of the company’s consolidated financial results
- Preparation and submission of Financial statements, Corporate Tax Returns, fund reports to Bundesbank and BAFIN
- Expense control to ensure compliance with our global expense policy
- Creation of the monthly management accounts for the operating company
- Creation of monthly and quarterly accounts for the Fund
- Administration of standard personnel files, including personnel files, work contracts, vacation tracker and onboarding information
- Review and provision of analysis of performance KPIs of the monthly management accounts with Global Finance and Partners
- Management of cashflow, budgets and forecasting tightly across the business
- Owning the quarterly reporting processes and ensure that Fund Performance is prepared and distributed, compliance is submitted on time and all documentation is maintained
- Running the yearly audit for the Fund with external auditors and ensure Financial Statements, Tax Distribution Statements and the Tax Returns are submitted on time
- Working closely with the Global Finance function and local management to improve and maintain Antler’s Finance, Control and Reporting functions, actively seeking opportunities to automate and streamline repetitive processes to realize efficiencies
- Working with Fund Partners in managing the cash flow and payments for the fund
- Supporting the onboarding as well as KYC/AML clearance process for new limited partners in the Antler CE I fund (and future funds)
- Developing and maintaining relationships with internal and external stakeholders such as limited partners, founders, banks, and the broader Global Team.
- Developing and implementing risk management controls, cost behavior and savings.
- Working with our external legal counsel and tax advisors on any legal matters that arise
- Other ad hoc projects as and when required
To be successful in this role you will need
- Minimum 5 years’ experience overseeing a finance function
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, or related field, and professional membership of CFA or equivalent
- Leadership skills and personal integrity
- Exceptional skills in budgeting and forecasting
- Experience with group reporting
- A solid grasp of data analysis and performance metrics
- Ability to diagnose problems quickly and have foresight into potential issues
What we offer
- Be part of one of the most active venture capital firms across Europe and globally, which invests in and supports hundreds of new portfolio companies every year.
- Work in a fast-growing global organisation with a lot of responsibilities from day one, in a supportive culture with colleagues across all continents and shape the future setup of the regional and global finance function
- Enjoy great learning opportunities, especially how companies are formed, how VCs validate ideas, invest and coach start-ups
- Be part of a fun and highly-qualified team, all dedicated to making Antler and our portfolio companies a huge success
- Have the opportunity to create a legacy and have a large impact: be part of a company that will invest in and support thousands of disruptive companies over the coming years and support exceptional entrepreneurs from around the world who are making a difference
- Going forward, the opportunity to take larger responsibilities within Antler, through a larger pan-regional or global role that is being established as operations grow and mature further
- Flexible, hybrid location model